Samuel Hearne Middle School
School News | Week of: Monday, November 11, 2019
Hello Samuel Hearne MS Community,
This communication is being shared to provide you with School News from Samuel Hearne Middle School for the Week of Monday, November 11, 2019.
- Please visit our Samuel Hearne MS School Website/Blog at: www.SamuelHearneMS.ca
- Please view our Samuel Hearne MS Twitter Posts at: @SamuelHearneMS & #HearneLearns
- Keep up-to-date with school events and important dates by viewing our: School Calendar
Important Dates & Upcoming Events:
Remembrance Day Assembly – Monday, November 11, 2019:
- During the morning of Monday, November 11, 2019, the Students and Staff of Samuel Hearne MS will be coming together for our annual Remembrance Day Assembly
- As a part of our Remembrance Day Assembly, we will be observing a moment of silence and will be hearing from a variety of school-based performers
Progress Reports Sent Home – Tuesday, November 12, 2019:
- Progress Reports for Students in Grade 5 to Grade 8 will be sent home on Tuesday, November 12, 2019
- If not already done so, please return your Interview Request Form to your child’s Teacher as soon as possible
Parent/Guardian & Teacher Interviews – Thursday, November 14, 2019 (AM) & Friday, November 15, 2019 (PM):
- Parent/Guardian & Teacher Interviews for 2019 Progress Reports will be held after school/during the evening on Thursday, November 14, 2019 and during the morning on Friday, November 15, 2019
PA Day – Friday, November 15, 2019:
- Due to Parent/Guardian & Teacher Interviews, Friday, November 15, 2019 is a PA Day
- During the PA Day, there will be no classes for Students
Student Nutrition Program (SNP) Menu:
- Please see below for our monthly Student Nutrition Program (SNP) Menu:
Bullying/Cyberbullying Prevention & Intervention:
From time to time, it is helpful and important to review School policies to ensure the safety of all Students. The TDSB’s Code of Online Conduct and our School Code of Conduct (found in Student Agendas) set out roles and responsibilities for Students to help create a learning environment that is safe, nurturing, positive and respectful for all.
We are committed to ensuring that our School Community is free of bullying behaviour – both at School and Online. Students and Staff are expected to be responsible and respectful citizens both digitally and in-person.
At Samuel Hearne Middle School, we educate our Students about wellness, appropriate and acceptable use of social media and expectations of behaviour on and offline. In addition, we will continue to help Students understand that their actions have an impact on their classmates and on our shared school climate. Just as physical, verbal and social bullying can result in serious School consequences, so can Cyberbullying – which includes sharing and saving inappropriate pictures and videos. Bullying can also result in police involvement.
We have reached out to TDSB and Community Resources to explore how we, as educators, can better support and teach our Students about developing healthy relationships, effective communication skills and self-advocacy.
All Students have the right to feel safe in our School and with your continued support we will achieve that learning environment. At home, it is also important that Families take the time to discuss digital citizenship with their Children and to be aware of their online activity. Please see below for a factsheet about Digital Citizenship.
Also, at Samuel Hearne Middle School, we are currently developing a Bullying & Cyberbullying Prevention/Intervention Plan, which will be shared with our Families, Students and Staff in the coming weeks.
Thank you for your support and co-operation. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel to contact the school at (416) 396 6555.
School News Email Settings:
If our School News Updates are being flagged as “Spam” or “Junk Mail”, please adjust your spam/junk mail settings accordingly:
Gmail – Mark or unmark Spam in Gmail
Outlook/Hotmail – Block or allow (junk email settings)
Follow Our School Teaching & Learning: