Good Evening Samuel Hearne MS Community,
We hope that you and your families/loved ones are doing well, staying safe and healthy.
As we move forward with week 7 of our remote learning, we would once again like to extend our most sincere thanks to our School Community. Students continue to engage online and our Staff continue to share the successes of our Students.
Please see the sections below for our latest School Community Check-In and Update:
Director Of Education Update On School Year Closures:
Please see the letter sent to TDSB Parents/Guardians today (Tuesday, May 19, 2020) from the TDSB Director of Education (Dr. John Malloy) for updates and information regarding TDSB School Closures. As noted in the letter, “the Government of Ontario announced today that all publicly-funded schools in Ontario, including those in the Toronto District School Board, will remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year and that remote learning will continue until the end of June.” As more information becomes available, details will be shared as soon as possible by the TDSB.
Please be reminded to continue to check your email for important updates from the TDSB, from your child’s Teacher and from the School. Google Classroom, Class Dojo and TDSB email continue to be the main spaces for/methods of classroom-based communication, between Students and their Teachers.
TDSB/TFSS “Food For Kids Nutrition Program”:
- During the school year, Samuel Hearne MS operates a Student Nutrition Program (SNP), which offers food to Students at our School each day of the week
- With this in mind, our School has been identified to be a part of the Toronto Foundation for Student Success (TFSS) “Food For Kids Nutrition Program”
- Through this program, each family of our School is eligible for a $50.00 grocery food card (per TDSB child) for local grocery stores
- Once Families register online, grocery food cards will be mailed directly to the address families provide
- Parent/Guardians would have received an email and telephone call from the TDSB regarding these details, where specific instructions were shared
Program Registration Information
- To ensure that each Samuel Hearne MS Family is able to register, the registration information and link is being shared below – please be sure to review and complete this to apply for grocery food cards:
- Further, please see the link shared below to access further details and information (including a “Frequently Asked Questions” resource) regarding the Food For Kids Nutrition Program:
Registration Questions & Support:
- If you have any questions or are in need of assistance in completing the Food For Kids Nutrition Program registration, please do not hesitate to please email me directly at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca
- You may also contact our Community Support Worker (Steve Salfarlie) via email at Steve.Salfarlie2@tdsb.on.ca.
Samuel Hearne MS Staff Messages To Our Students:
The Staff of Samuel Hearne MS truly miss teaching and learning together with our Students. Each day as we work together remotely, we have continued to connect and we would like to share messages from each Staff member to our Students. We have created a video containing these messages, embedded below and accessible by clicking/tapping the video/link:
TDSB Student Device/Account/Password Technical Information & Support:
As Students continue to engage in our remote learning program and receive Student Devices from the TDSB, some families have shared technical questions regarding devices, Google Classroom and Student Accounts/Passwords.
Please see below for a variety of TDSB Student Device/Account/Password information and resources:
- TDSB Student Device & Password Help – General Information
- TDSB Student Device & Password Help – Technical Assistance
- Accessing Google Classroom Using Computer/Laptop/Chromebook
- Accessing Google Classroom Using iPad/iDevice
- TDSB “Introduction to Google Classroom – An Overview for TDSB Families” Webinar Video
Grade 8 To Grade 9 Summer School Opportunity @ Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute:
The following information is intended for Students transitioning from Grade 8 to Grade 9 at Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute:
- The Grade 8 to Grade 9 transition program at Birchmount Park C.I. will operate once again this July
- The program is for Students who have selected Birchmount Park C.I. for Grade 9
- The program focuses on developing each Student’s literacy and numeracy skills in preparation for high school, and provides Students with an opportunity for both artistic expression and physical activity
- Successful Students will earn a high school credit
- Current Samuel Hearne MS Grade 8 Students will be/have received application information via their TDSB email
- Please click HERE for more information and for the online application
Mental Health & Well-Being Resources:
As we continue to focus on and support the Mental Health and Well-Being of our Students, Families and Staff, we remind our School Community of the Mental Health & Well-Being resources provided by the TDSB, as well as of the support offered by Kids Help Phone, both available at the following links:
- TDSB Mental Heath & Well-Being Resources During COVID-19
- Kids Help Phone @ 1-800-668-6868:
School Community Support & Resources:
Our School Community is reminded that should you require the services/support of our Settlement Counsellor (Fawzia Haji) or our Community Support Worker (Steve Salfarlie), please email me directly at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca for more information.
Further, please see below for a list of Helpful Resources and Links, with more available at www.tdsb.on.ca:
- Remote Learning & Well-Being In The TDSB
- Community Supports & Resources
- 211 Ontario – COVID-19 Services & Supports
- City of Toronto – COVID-19 Resources Interactive Map
- Student Learning Resources
- Student Device & Password Help
- Toronto Public Library Digital Library Card:
- The Toronto Public Library (TPL) has launched a new initiative where residents who do not have a library card can now access “Overdrive”, TPL’s largest collection of ebooks and audio books using the new instant digital card
- These digital cards will expire September 1, 2020
- This service available for individuals 13 years and older
- For more information and to access the library digital services, please click/tap HERE
- Community Initiatives/Workshops/Sessions:
As always, Parents/Guardians are reminded that should you have any questions or concerns please email me directly at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca.
Mr. J. Romano, Principal & Ms. N. Blackwood-Fuller, Vice Principal