Hello Samuel Hearne MS Community,
I hope that you are doing well and are keeping in a safe environment with those closest to you as we continue to face an extraordinary situation that is affecting each of us in different ways.
It is hard to believe that this week is near completion, and we thank our students and staff for a successful transition to and experience with Remote Learning! During this week, you have received a variety of communications from our teachers who have reached out to connect with students and parents/guardians/families via Google Classroom/Class Dojo/email. Our students have engaged in rich learning experiences designed by our staff via Google Classroom and Google Meet. We thank all in our school community for continuing to come together in support of our students.
As we know, we are currently facing an unprecedented situation where the concern of our school and of the TDSB continues to be the health and well-being of all students, staff and families amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, we would like for you to know that the staff of our school is thinking of and wishes the continued health and safety of all Samuel Hearne MS students and families.
We remind our School Community to stay safe by following all protocols and directives outlined by Toronto Public Health, Ontario Ministry of Health and government officials to ensure your health and safety, as well as the health and safety of others.
This communication is being sent to share pertinent information and resources to support our students and our School Community during this time – please see the sections below for further details:
A. REMOTE LEARNING EXTENDED:
- As you have likely heard from recent TDSB and Ontario Government communications, due to the continued spread of COVID-19, elementary schools across Ontario, including those at the TDSB (such as Samuel Hearne MS), will remain closed to students and staff until at least Monday, January 25, 2021
- During this extended closure, Remote Learning will continue
- As such, we will continue with Remote Learning on Monday, January 11, 2021 (a timetable DAY 3):
- Students will continue to follow our Regular School Schedule and their Regular Class Timetable:
- Please note that Friday, January 15, 2021 is a PA Day
- As we know, these continue to be unprecedented and challenging times – the staff at Samuel Hearne Middle School would like to remind all of our students and families that we are here for you, and our focus continues to be the learning, mental health and well-being of all within our school community
B. TDSB STUDENT DEVICE INFORMATION:
- For those students who may require a TDSB Student Device for this Remote Learning period, please see the details below:
- Parents/guardians are asked to complete this internal TDSB Student Device Request Google Form
- Samuel Hearne MS Staff will be in contact with parents/guardians/families regarding next steps once the TDSB Student Device Request Google Form has been completed
- Please note that TDSB Student Devices will be provided based on availability and may take time to distribute
C. SAMUEL HEARNE MS SCHOOL COMMUNITY COMMUNICATIONS PLAN:
- Our communication with our School Community continues to be a priority
- To support this at the school-level, below please find the ways in which we have communicated and plan to continue to communicate any and all updates with our School Community:
- In addition, we ask our School Community to send any questions or concerns directly to Principal Joe Romano, via email at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca
D. STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH & WELL-BEING:
- With this all in mind, it is important that we continue to consider and prioritize the Mental Health and Well-Being of our entire School Community, inclusive of our students, families and staff
- At Samuel Hearne MS and at the TDSB, we care about the range of emotions and questions students of all ages may be experiencing in this uncertain and unprecedented time of the COVID-19 pandemic and school closures
- Both school-based staff and TDSB Professional Support Services share responsibilities for supporting student well-being
- While at home, there are a variety of Mental Health and Well-Being Resources for students and families available on the TDSB website
- We remind our School Community that these supports continue to be available for students and families, and should you have any questions or concerns please contact Principal Joe Romano directly via email at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca
E. RESOURCES & PERTINENT INFORMATION FROM IMPORTANT TDSB PARTNERS:
- Further, to continue to stay up-to-date with all information surrounding the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, please see and continue to check the websites below for ongoing updates:
Moving forward, we will continue to communicate any updates and pertinent information as it is shared to keep our School Community informed in a timely manner.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Principal Joe Romano directly via email at Joseph.Romano@tdsb.on.ca.
Stay Safe & Take Care,
Mr. J. Romano, Principal & Ms. N. Blackwood-Fuller, Vice Principal